How to Format /Reformat a Laptop on Windows?
Formatting your laptop from time to time is an effective strategy to keep the device in a good health. When you have too many programs on your hard drive, or the system registry gets overburdened, the common defensive mechanism lies in reformatting the drive. Well, you should know how to format a laptop windows 7 or any other version of Windows, so that you can clear the junk in your device in a quick and effective way. According to experts, formatting the hard drives periodically keeps the laptop in a good condition.
You can follow any of the three processes discussed below to format or reformat your laptop running on Windows:
Method 1: Formatting the laptop using Windows installation CD
Many users have the Windows Setup disc, which helps them to format their laptop in an easy process. However, if you do not have a system installation CD or the laptop does not have the CD drive, you have alternative mechanisms as well. If you want to know how to format laptop windows 10 or any other version, you can follow these steps:
- Step 1: It is necessary to alter the boot order, so that your laptop can boot from the DVD or CD. After installing the disc, restart the computer. You will find a message, that instructs you to press a particular key like ‘F2’ or ‘Del’. Until the Bios setup utility comes up, you need to keep pressing the key. Next, you need to choose ‘Boot’ tab and select the DVD or CD that will be placed first in the order. Now you need to exit Bios after saving the changes, while the laptop restarts.
- Step 2: At this stage, you will find that the laptop automatically boots up from the CD, if you had changed the boot order correctly.
- Step 3: A message will show up on the screen, stating ‘Windows is loading files…’ and ‘Starting Windows’. The Windows logo along with some drop down boxes will appear on the screen. You may change the preferred language now, and click on ‘Next’.
- Step 4: After clicking on ‘Install now’, you need to wait, when the Setup gets started.
- Step 5: Click on ‘I accept the license terms’ and then on ‘Next’, and finally on the ‘Custom (advanced)’ option.
- Step 6: Select the partition or disc that is to be formatted and click on ‘Format’.
- Step 7:After the hard drive gets formatted, the disk can be repartitioned and you need to install the system.
Method 2: Formatting the laptop without using Windows installation CD
Many laptops do not come with the CD drive, so you would like to know how to format laptop without cd drive. In these cases, you can format it from the factory setting. Simply back up the files elsewhere before reformatting the drive.
- Step 1: Tap on the power button to load Windows. You need to press the ‘F8’ or ‘F11’ key repeatedly, depending on the model of your laptop. However, users might need technical assistance from the experts if they are not familiar with this kind of operation. We have assisted several clients in the past in formatting or reformatting the drives.
- Step 2: You will see the words ‘System Recovery’ on the screen. Click on ‘Next’ and choose the Standard Recovery option.
- Step 3:You need to wait until the laptop is booted after the process is complete.
- Step 4: You will receive a complete guidance from Windows for the further processes and configure your laptop as per your needs.
If you want to know how to format a laptop without cd or usb, simply follow the process explained above.
Method 3: Format your laptop with a software
Various software packages are available in the market, using which you can format or reformat the laptop. You need to download and install the software on your laptop and let it do the job for you.
- Step 1: Firstly, you need to create a USB media that is bootable for the software. As it is not possible to format Windows if it is running, you need to format the laptop under the pre-OS condition. Launch the software after inserting the USB drive to the computer, go to the partition manager and choose the USB drive and tap on ‘Create WinPE bootable USB drive for the software’, that you will find under the ‘Tools’ option. After clicking on the ‘OK’ button, you need to wait.
- Step 2:After modifying the boot order in BIOS, place the USB drive that is bootable, in the first order.
- Step 3: When you restart the laptop, it will automatically boot from the USB drive and the software will be launched.
- Step 4: Now you will find the option for formatting the hard drive. Click on ‘Format’ and then on the ‘OK’ button to complete the process.
If you want to know how to format laptop windows 8, you can follow any of the three processes discussed above. Get across to us for further assistance, in case you find it too complicated, we are here to help you out
Tip: If you have not saved any data on your laptop/desktop before formatting, you still have a great chance to recover your lost data. Try Stellar Data Recovery Software for Windows.
Stellar Data Recovery is one of the pioneers to introduce data recovery services in India. Recently, with completion of 25 years in existence, it launched a brand upgrade – Stellar 2.0 – which is driven around the amalgamation of core values of Simplicity, Care, Trust and Customer Feedback. Having established in more than 18 locations worldwide, it has been able to satisfy 3 million+ customers with its 100% safe and confidential data recovery services. Not only that, Class 100 clean rooms, in-house development of advanced technologies and software and a team of 100+ R & D engineers is what makes its services stand out from the rest.